Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Paris: Arc de Triomphe and Luxor Obelisk


Arc de Triomphe, Paris
I just finished my first half-day in Paris, and I am already blown away by the city. After getting in at 7:30 AM and finishing up my 4th flight of the day, I went straight to bed, waking only for some afternoon sushi. By 5 PM I was ready to go see the city.



I must say that Vijay gives a pretty good condensed tour of Paris, because in 5 short hours we were able to grab a good meal and see a very good chunk of the city.

Pont Alexandre III
My favorite thing was probably the Luxor Obelisk, which is a random 23 meter Egyptian obelisk in the middle of Concorde. It is 3300 years old and was offered to France as a gift by Muhammad Ali Pasha in 1829. The obelisk is flanked by two decorative fountains. It's crazy to think of the amount of work that went into transporting an obelisk of that size and weight (250 metric tons) in the early 1800's.

Luxor Obelisk at night

Fountain by Luxor
Today we started off with some Cafe au lait and crossants as we wait for Vijay to get off work. Expect another update tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment